BASF Staff Engineer – Catalyst Evaluation Laboratory - Beachwood, OH in Beachwood, Ohio
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2019. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
StaffEngineer – Catalyst Evaluation Laboratory (1901830) – Beachwood, OH
Where the Chemistry Happens
We are seeking a professional like you to join our catalyst evaluation group which is part of the “Process Catalysis Scale-Up North America” (RCC/PS) R&D group in Beachwood, OH. The main focus of the catalyst evaluation group is the development and implementation of heterogeneous catalyst testing programs in support of R&D projects, catalyst quality assurance (manufacturing), catalyst improvement efforts, and new business development. The group provides technical support for both internal and external customers and collaborates with/participates in cross-functional teams including personnel from sales, marketing, manufacturing, analytical, and research. A high level of customer interaction is often required.
This is an excellent opportunity to demonstrate your ability to develop and implement catalyst testing programs, analyze and interpret data, communicate results, make recommendations, submit research proposals, and provide technical leadership in all facets of the catalysis arena. Additionally, as flexibility is an important aspect of this position, you might on occasion be expected to assist in the preparation of heterogeneous catalysts.
Extensive knowledge of heterogeneous catalysis and a solid understanding of reaction engineering, kinetics, thermodynamics, and mass transfer is critical for the successful design and execution of catalyst testing programs. A working knowledge of analytical techniques such as GC and GC-MS will be helpful for developing the appropriate methods to collect meaningful data. At times, your experience with catalyst preparation and/or catalyst forming operations may be utilized as project needs dictate. Furthermore, any experience you may have with electronics, process control, and/or programming/HMI/SCADA (e.g. iFix) will be advantageous.
· Leveraging your Bachelor's degree or higher (PhD preferred) in chemical engineering or chemistry combined with your research experience in heterogenous catalysis and reaction engineering, you will plan, design, and execute experiments involving the evaluation of heterogeneous catalysts for the conversion of chemicals, petrochemicals, or oleochemicals to desired products in both fixed-bed and slurry reactor systems.
· Your experience with and understanding of chemical processes along with kinetics, thermodynamics, mass transfer, and analytical methods will be essential tools for the development and execution of successful catalyst evaluation programs.
· Successfully engaging inside and outside of the organization, you will collaborate closely with a diverse range of colleagues from R&D, manufacturing, and business as well as with external customers, suppliers, and partners.
· Your ability to effectively communicate, in both written and oral fashion, and to appropriately tailor your message to your audience will serve you well as you interact with a wide range of colleagues in all areas and at all levels of the organization.
· Working in close collaboration with your supervisor and other team members, you will conduct project planning and target setting.
· Handling a wide variety of projects simultaneously while meeting project budget constraints, goals, and timelines, you will coordinate, delegate, and prioritize work flows.
· Driving BASF’s “customers first – winning together” strategy, you will focus on customer needs and help to develop solutions to catalyst-related problems. This could include improvements in catalyst design, optimization of process conditions, or post-mortem catalyst studies.
· Relying on your strong leadership and interpersonal skills, you will coordinate and supervise the activities of laboratory technician(s). You will also provide your direct reports with appropriate coaching, goal setting, and development to maximize their potential.
· Demonstrating your commitment to the protection of our intellectual property, you will keep abreast of the relevant publications in the open literature as well as patent applications. You will also submit invention records based on new experimental findings and work with Legal on the preparation of patent applications.
· Your pledge to safety will be a valued asset as you will be actively involved in site safety culture and processes to support 5S, Zero Incident Mindset (ZIM), and Responsible Care Management Systems (RCMS). You will lead and support various EHS initiatives within the catalyst evaluation laboratory and the site overall. This will include writing job safety analyses (JSAs), conducting annual procedure and reactor unit safety reviews, participating in safety inspections, and conducting incident investigations.
Leadership Expectations :As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the companythrough people. Our top candidate willbe expected to enable greater personal success among our employees throughquality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders atBASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed toimplement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach anddevelop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevantdevelopment assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating andchallenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committedto "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time theyare creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value fromdiversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safetyculture in which all accidents are preventable.
CreateYour Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.
Job: REDE - Research & Development
Organization: RCC/PS-Process Catalysis Scale-up NA-60002043
Title: Staff Engineer – Catalyst Evaluation Laboratory - Beachwood, OH
Requisition ID: 1901830