BASF Research Tech III in Budd Lake, New Jersey
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
Research Tech III, 1802174 – Budd Lake, NJ
Formula for Success: You will ....
We are seeking a Research Technician III who will have an active role in supporting our Research and Product Development Scientist to develop new materials and formulations for Engineering Plastics in Budd Lake, NJ.
You will report to the Team Leader, Engineering Plastics group and conduct raw material blending, compounding, extrusion and molding operations in new product development and plant scale-up support for a vast variety of engineering plastic applications in all major industries.
• Assemble and disassembling extruder components including barrels, side feeders, dies, and vacuum systems.
• Building existing and new screw designs and updating software
• Coordinate R & D projects with product scientist and engineers to ensure timely production standards are met.
• Perform and/or support complex machinery upgrades.
• Schedule maintenance of all compounding equipment.
• Review and follow laboratory service requests for blending, compounding, extrusion and molding.
• Able to perform routine maintenance of all compounding equipment
• Collect and report data from experiments to scientist.
• Independently schedule own work assignments.
• Weigh and blend raw materials for experimental formulations prior to compounding.
• Operate injection molding machines, conduct mold changes and knowledge of optimizing mold process conditions.
• Wear necessary safety equipment and follow company established Safety, Health and Environmental policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of operating equipment safely by participating in writing and reviewing job safety analysis, lock tag and try and standard operating procedures.
• Knowledge of all appropriate safety, health and environmental protection policies in handling chemicals associated with performing daily task.
• Report unsafe acts and ensures others are immediately informed if any risk to self or others are protected. All safety acts and incidence must be report to supervisor and EHS accordingly.
• Supports warehouse activities as needed; shipping, receiving and distribution of raw materials, engineering resins, samples, parts and finished goods.
• Supports notification of goods received, disposition and final destinations to recipient.
• Supports activities related to inventory of raw materials, developmental samples and commercial products
• Fork truck licenses to operate all lift equipment such as fork-truck, pallet jacks and drum handlers.
• Perform general housekeeping duties as needed.
• Able to actively foster new process and procedures to improve work flow in all processing operations.
• Perform packaging/unpacking of samples into/from drums or boxes on/off pallets.
• Interacts frequently with internal customers and co-workers
• Embraces all BASF spotlight behaviors; continuous improvement, entrepreneurial drive, customer & market focus, innovation, change orientation, team work and collaboration.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You @BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF , you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You…
• High school diploma or GED with 20 years plastic polymer processing experience OR minimum Associates degree in Polymer Processing or related discipline with minimum 5 years plastic polymer processing experience
• Experienced Technician and operator who can reliably setup, calibrate, clean and perform complex maintenance on extruders and auxiliary equipment.
• Experienced in building new screw designs, knowledge of screw elements and software.
• Experienced in the operation of Coperion ZSK type twin screw compounding machines.
• Experienced in Loss-in-weight K-Tron feeders and K-Vision controller, pumps, strand and under water cooling baths, vacuum and forced air strand blowers, pellet separators systems and pelletizers.
• Must be able to lift and move up to 55 pounds
• Prior experience operating a fork truck and lift equipment
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF recognizes institutions of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
BASF Corporation is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity ("EEO") and to compliance with all federal, state and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, and other protected classifications.
Job: REDE - Research & Development
Organization: N-PMN Performance Materials North America 60000012
Title: Research Tech III
Location: NJ-Budd Lake
Requisition ID: 1802174