BASF I&E Technician in Cincinnati, Ohio
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. We are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
Instrument Technician (1804755) – Cincinnati, OH
Purpose of the Job:
• Support the operation of all production departments plant-wide by maintaining the instrumentation and controls systems in good working order.
• Install, wire, calibrate, and repair a wide variety of chemical process instrumentation including those for measurement and control of fluid flow, pressure, temperature, level, pH, density, and position.
• Excellent troubleshooting skills are essential. Must be able to read P&ID’s, flow diagrams, single line diagrams, loop diagrams, sequence charts, and interlock tables. Must be able to use manufacturers’ technical literature available on-line, and communicate regularly with vendors’ technical representatives.
• Process control systems are primarily HART protocol instruments on 4-20 mA loops tied to an Emerson DCS. However, familiarity with PLCs and local control systems is also important. Various control parameters include electrical, pneumatic, nuclear, mechanical, hydraulic, and wireless. Awareness of proportional and PID control modes is required.
• Perform control loop calibrations, as well as field and bench calibration of process instruments.
• Perform routine preventive maintenance inspections. Maintain ISO-9001, OSHA-PSM, and TS-16949 compliance documentation and field tagging.
• This position is considered multi-skilled, i.e. the instrument technician will occasionally perform a wide variety of work besides instrumentation and controls maintenance as the plant situations dictate. This work may include basic pipe fitting, millwright, insulation, and operator assistance tasks.
• Familiarity with both ANSI and metric standard fasteners and fittings, as well as domestic and European equipment is required.
• Attention to detail, job site cleanliness, and orderliness are required
• Must be able to communicate effectively with production personnel, supervision, engineering, and external suppliers.
• Excellent safety skills. Must comply with OSHA and plant-specific safety procedures.
• Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
• Heavy industrial – chemical manufacturing plant, 24/7/365 operation.
• Production areas are located both outdoors and indoors (not climate-controlled). Work by the instrument technician in the production areas will be approximately 80% outdoors and 20% indoors.
• The work includes miscellaneous rigging and operation of crane, forklift, and aerial platform. Must be able to work at heights and in confined spaces.
• The work schedule for the instrument technician is primarily day shift Monday through Friday. However, some night and weekend work is expected in order to cover plant emergencies and scheduled turnarounds. Availability by cell phone for emergency call-ins is required.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You @BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF , you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look For in You…
High School Diploma or GED
Four years of experience in plant instrumentation maintenance, or construction
Completion of an Industrial Instrumentation trade program or applicable trade school program.
Experience with Allen Bradley variable frequency drives.
Experience with SAP computerized maintenance management system.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF recognizes institutions of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
BASF Corporation is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity ("EEO") and to compliance with all federal, state and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, and other protected classifications.
Job: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Organization: N-EMN/OC-Cincinnati Central Maintenance-60002985
Title: I&E Technician
Requisition ID: 1804755