BASF Control Systems Tech in Geismar, Louisiana
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF , we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with strong emphasis process safety, as well as safety of our employees and the communities we operate in, and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
Where the Chemistry Happens…
Control Systems Technician (1902739) – Geismar, LA
This position has site‐wide responsibilities for support of the control systems (DCS, PLC, SIS, etc). The main responsibilities are providing advanced troubleshooting and support for area maintenance, project configuration, hardware expertise and IT expertise.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You @BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Principal responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provides expert level support for all control systems equipment onsite. This includes equipment configuration associated with these systems. Specific technicians will be dedicated to specific systems in order to increase expertise.
• Implement Lifecycle strategies, status checks and diagnostics for installed controls systems.
• Maintain spare parts inventory
• Support area maintenance control system configuration and advanced troubleshooting, including software and hardware.
• Perform diagnostic concept and periodic health checks of installed online for all control systems onsite.
• Support and train area Instrument Technicians in basic maintenance of control systems.
• Provide IT expertise for LAN based systems that interface control by managing systems such as PIMs, Integrity, PAS and any other LAN based systems for the site.
• Maintains a database of key advanced process control installations at the site.
• Maintains site control system maintenance contracts with the Senior Control Systems Engineer.
• Maintains, archives, communicates all best practices documents for all control systems on site.
• Provides functional Specification review, control system configuration and participates in factory acceptance testing on capital projects.
• Collaborates with Engineering and Operations for Front End Loading on capital projects.
• Work with the Site Central Controls Systems Engineer to conduct strategic Control Systems management/ design/ development/ configuration/ implementation. This includes assigning and maintaining all IO points to ensure that appropriate systems can be taken down as needed to support the plant
• Excellent work management skills.
• Keen attention to detail and a high degree of quality orientation
• Strong communication & interpersonal skills, both orally and written.
• Ability to work as a team.
• Customer focus.
• Analytical and strategic thinking, quality orientation and attention to detail.
• Business & Financial Acumen
Work Environment (Extent of Interaction with Supervisor(s) for Approval, Concurrence, Resolution, ETC.)
Acts independently regarding most daily and weekly activities and interacts with supervising manager and engineers usually on a consult, report basis.
Most decisions made by this position are concrete when within defined procedural and process constraints. When conflicts arise if it cannot be resolved with facts and figures, it is escalated to the next level.
Business Environment (Economic or Technological Conditions dealt with on a regular basis)
A control system technician maintains and configures assigned systems and implements life-cycle decisions in the current overall economic context of the business units and the site, not solely with respect to the maintenance budget. This person will seek continuous improvements in automation and control technologies to improve the process automation capability and the reliability of their assigned area.
Internal and External Relationships (Nature and Frequency)
This position interacts daily with the control system manager and engineers. They will also interact with operations personnel, such as operators, production leaders, operations engineers, and technology team members. Provides periodic reports to management and will interact with peers. This position will maintain contacts with counterparts in other companies within the BASF Group as well as those in other companies via industry organizations.
Minimum of three (3) years of control system experience in a chemical/petrochemical or similar manufacturing environment.
Minimum of three (3) years Hands on experience and good working knowledge with various types of process control systems and equipment with an understanding of control system hardware and computer networking.
4 year Degree in Computer Science
Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in IT, networking and database
Minimum of three (3) years’ SAP/R3 experience
This position requires all candidates to either currently possess or obtain and maintain a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) Card from the U. S. Department of Homeland Security.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
BASF recognizes institutions of higher education accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
Job: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Organization: N-CIN/O-Operations Intermediates-63023363
Title: Control Systems Tech
Requisition ID: 1902739