BASF Senior Manager Government Affairs - Gulf Coast-Southeast - Geismar, LA in Geismar, Louisiana
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation. We achieve this through our commitment to continuous improvement and operational excellence, which gives us the opportunity to set and deliver on ambitious, long-term goals.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment with a strong emphasis on process safety, as well as the safety of our employees and the communities we operate in and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. This allows for our employees to innovate and generate new ideas, put them into action, and gain insights from them to further advance our collective expertise.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2019. We strongly support the spirit of collaboration through effectively involving team members and colleagues from other relevant units when developing and executing strategies and projects. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Senior Manager – Government Affairs (1903165) – Gulf Coast and Southeast U.S. - Geismar, LA
Where the Chemistry Happens
We are seeking a professional like you to take the lead in promoting BASF's interests in the state legislative arena in the Gulf Coast and Southeast, including Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Kentucky. In this role, you will also participate as needed in local advocacy issues surrounding BASF's sites in the states of responsibility, support federal advocacy efforts in assigned states via local contacts and grassroots activities, and serve as the advocacy point person for key trade associations, e.g., state chemistry councils, manufacturer associations and state chambers of commerce, in the states of responsibility. Additionally, you will coordinate the activities in states with multiple BASF sites to ensure alignment on priorities and advocacy strategy and interface with the sites and businesses relevant to assigned states to identify critical advocacy priorities, identify strategies for advancing BASF interests on those priorities and executes agreed advocacy strategies.
Reporting to the Head of State Government Affairs, you will be based at the BASF Verbund site in Geismar, Louisiana with time spent primarily in Baton Rouge, as well as other state capitals as needed.
Travel is expected to be up to 25% for this role within the region.
Formula for Success
• Leveraging your education and experience in government or public affairs arenas, at a company, trade association or in government, you will develop and recommend legislative strategies on key issues to businesses and sites.
• Your experience working with state governments will be essential as you represent BASF before state governments.
• Demonstrating your effective communication skills, you will represent BASF at various trade associations to ensure timely consideration of regulatory and legislative developments important to the success of BASF businesses and sites. You will also use these skills to coordinate with Government Affairs staff on grassroots and Government Affairs communications needs.
• Successfully engaging inside the organization, you will coordinate with site management, Communications, and relevant functional stakeholders concerning major developments affecting the sites.
• Your keen attention to detail and strong organization skills will serve you well as you manage site visits by legislators.
• Working effectively as part of a team, you will coordinate with BASF Government Affairs personnel on actions necessary within the states on matters of federal importance. You will also participate in Government Affairs team meetings and calls.
• Relying on your ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, you will assist as required with other Government Affairs issues for the company.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.
This position requires all candidates to either currently possess or obtain and maintain a TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Credential) Card from the U. S. Department of Homeland Security).
Job: PRCO - Public Relations, Communication & Government Affairs
Organization: G-FLN/RG-Legal Regulatory-63010700
Title: Senior Manager Government Affairs - Gulf Coast-Southeast - Geismar, LA
Requisition ID: 1903165