BASF Instrumentation / Electrical Technician in Monaca, Pennsylvania
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF , we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2019. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Formula for Success: You Will…
The Instrumentation / Electrical Technician position is responsible for installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting site instrumentation, control systems, and electrical equipment in order to provide a safe operation with maximum production availability. The position reports to the Manager, Maintenance & I&E Engineering and receives work assignments, priorities, etc. from the Maintenance Planner or designee. The incumbent works closely with the Maintenance and Controls Engineers.
Responsibility and accountability includes, but is not limited to:
• Complete required repairs and tasks to instrument, control and electrical systems in an efficient, timely manner in order to restore or maintain safe operating capability.
• Install and check out new instrument, controls and electrical systems and equipment according to vendor specifications given, and in strict accordance to site and corporate standards and policies, thus improving plant safety or reliability.
• Recommend changes to existing instrument, controls and electrical systems or equipment in order to improve reliability or accuracy or further optimize process.
• Proficient knowledge and use of various test instruments such as calibration, diagnostic and monitoring systems.
• Detailed knowledge of operation, maintenance, repair and calibration of chemical process industry instrumentation and controls (for level, flow, pressure, temperature, analysis, pneumatic actuated valves, control valves).
• Detailed knowledge of the installation and maintenance of electrical supply and distribution systems (Motors, Drives, MCC, Transformers, Disconnects, wiring, lighting, etc.)
• Detailed knowledge of electronic process control systems, including distributed control (DCS), and programmable logic control (PLC) systems and the ability to troubleshoot and maintain these systems.
• Capability to perform basic mathematics, including fractions, decimal, and minor algebra.
• Ability to read and interpret piping and instrument diagrams (P&IDs)
• Knowledge of piping, bolting, gasketing, and basic rigging practices
• Knowledge of the NEC code. A full understanding of working in electrically classified areas.
• A working knowledge of computers and MS Windows operating system, E-Mail, Internet Explorer, etc. is required.
• Familiarity with safety practices and techniques relating to the chemical industry (e.g. LOTO, Confined Space Entry, Hot Work, Arc Flash awareness).
• Ability to write and revise written job instructions.
• Must have the flexibility to work additional hours when appropriate.
• It requires working indoors and outdoors with the use of stairways/ladders to perform tasks.
• Ability to work in confined spaces (ie. inside storage tanks and other vessels)
• Ability to frequently lift 21-50 lbs and on occasion would need to lift 50 lbs.
• Operation of a forklift truck and passing a company administered proficiency test is required.
• Operation of aerial man lift equipment is required
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
• High school diploma or GED.
• 8 years instrument/electrical maintenance experience in an industrial or chemical or power plant facility; OR 2-year technical degree plus a minimum of 5 years instrument/electrical maintenance experience in an industrial or chemical or power plant facility.
• Detailed knowledge of HART-based communicators.
• Experience as a I/E technician working in a chemical manufacturing environment
• Ability to read blueprints, sketches, I/E drawings, and detailed I/E equipment.
• Experience with SIL and SIS instrumentation and systems
• SAP experience
BASF recognizes Institutions of Higher Education that are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
BASF Corporation is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity ("EEO") and to
compliance with all federal, state and local laws that prohibit employment discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, disability, veteran status, genetic information, and other protected classifications.
Job: PROD - Production, Maintenance & Technicians
Organization: N-EDN/OM-Production Monaca-60001262
Title: Instrumentation / Electrical Technician
Requisition ID: 2001808